The car-free mountain village of Stoos offers two cross-country trails. The one through the frontal is the smaller and less demanding of both. Their use is free of charge.
Distance 2.6 km
Situated at 1300 metres, the Frontal cross-country ski trail is snow-sure and mostly above the fog line in the sunshine. The start is at Stoos-Seeli, an artificial mountain lake, which is particularly popular with families and fishermen in summer. The easy trail is characterised by two short climbs and two descents. There are only a few metres of altitude to be covered and its loops make the trail interesting. On the way you have a beautiful view of the Grosse Mythen. The trail is prepared for classic and skating. The Stoos cross-country skiing area is one of the ten highest cross-country skiing areas in the Lucerne-Vierwaldstättersee area. The steepest funicular in the world takes cross-country skiers from Schwyz-Schlattli up to the mountain village of Stoos.
Stop at a cosy restaurant on the Stoos.
AuthorStoos-Muotatal Tourismus / Region Luzern-Vierwaldstättersee
Update: May 06, 2021
Getting thereBy car on the A4 to the Schwyz exit, then in the direction of Muotathal to the valley station of the large Schwyz-Stoos funicular or by car turn onto Morschacherstrasse (at Wolfsprung), then follow the signs to Morschach and continue to the valley station of the small Morschach-Stoos aerial cableway.
ParkingParking is available at the valley station of the Schwyz-Stoos funicular and the Morschach-Stoos aerial cableway.
32T 474284 5202532
Book recommendation by the author
Equipmentcross-country skiing equipment, clothing adapted to weather conditions
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view