The starting point of this cross-country skiing route is the Fürenalp valley station. This conditionally and technically demanding route is over 4 kilometres long and includes a steep ascent up to Herrenrüti. The start is still easy, with a slight ascent over the Herrenrütiboden. From there it's a steep climb up to Spannörtern. Once you reach the top of Herrenrüti, after a short loop, the route descends back to the starting point. Situated at the far end of the valley, the route is scenically unique. You almost feel like you are back in time and there is nothing to listen to except your own breath and the crunch of the snow.
Getting thereTake the Motorway A2 (Basel-Luzern-Gotthard) to Stans-south. From there follow the main road for 20 km to Engelberg. Engelberg is about 30 minutes from Lucerne. From Zurich you need about 1 h 15 min, and from Bern or Basel approximatly 1 h 45 min.
ParkingParking spaces are available in Engelberg for a fee.
The cross-country skiing equipment can be rented in the sports shops in Engelberg.
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross-country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.