The Melchsee cross-country ski circuit starts between the Erzegg chairlift and the Distelboden restaurant. The short, flat circuit around the frozen reservoir offers wonderful views of car-free Frutt and the striking mountain range complete with Rothorn, Glogghuis, Hochstollen and Brünighaupt. The circuit is ideal for getting acquainted with the area.
If you look closely, you might spot a few holes in the lake. Don't worry: they are evidence of an unusual sport practised here - ice fishing. You might even catch sight of someone at it.
Tips and hintsWinter season:
The winter season usually lasts from mid-December to early April.
Up-to-date information on snow conditions is posted on the website of Sportbahnen Melchsee-Frutt.
The route is signposted anticlockwise with marker posts.
Ski rental and cross-country ski pass:
The former cableways terminus is equipped with showers, which can be used on request at the visitor information office. For more information on the local cross-country ski pass, equipment hire and changing and shower facilities, please visit the website of Sportbahnen Melchsee-Frutt.
Getting thereVon Luzern/ Interlaken auf der A8 bis Sarnen, die Ausfahrt Sarnen Nord Richtung Kerns/ Melchsee-Frutt benützen
ParkingBei der Talstation Stöckalp gibt es genügend gedeckte und ungedeckte Parkplätze.
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.