From Engelberg you first hike through the wild and romantic Aa gorge down into the valley. From Grafenort there is a short descent to the Buiräbähnli Mettlen-Rugisbalm-Lutersee, which will take you comfortably to the top. From Rugisbalm you go to the idyllic Lutersee and then through meadows and forests back to Engelberg. The hike can also be done the other way round.
Getting thereBy car, take the A2 (Basel-Gotthard) to Stans Süd, then take the main road 20 km to Engelberg. Engelberg is 30 minutes from Lucerne, 1 hour and 15 minutes from Basel, Zurich or Bern.
Parking spaces are available in Engelberg for a fee.
EquipmentSolid shoes and rain jacket are highly recommended.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.