One of the few flat, unmade paths in Canton Nidwalden. It can be walked all year round, always within earshot of the Engelberger Aa, its usually calm nature changed after heavy rain to a wild tumbling, brown broth entraining heavy stones.
This family-friendly hike begins peacefully and calmly shortly after Dallenwil railway station. The path along the Engelberger Aa is wide and lined with bushes, trees and seating areas. At Kreuzstrasse, the river and path turn right towards Buochs. The water used to decide here whether it preferred to flow towards Stansstad or Buochs: the area was an alluvial plain. The path leads past the covered Fadenbrücke bridge (1855) with its lovely Nidwalden coat of arms. Continue on either side to the lake at Aawasseregg.