From the "Dragon Mountain" Pilatus, the path leads in a steep zigzag down to Chilchsteine at the foot of the Matthorn. The short but worthwhile detour to the Matthorn is rewarded with wonderful views of the entire Sarneraa valley. From Chilchsteine, it finally goes under the imposing cliffs of Tomlishorn on to Fräkmünt. Now the path meanders along the mountain down to alt. 1300 m. Below the Hörnli mountain, the path climbs slowly via Unter Chretzen to Hinter Chretzen. From there it goes continuously down to Ämsigen. At the Ämsigen cog railway station, the train runs back to Alpnachstad at regular intervals.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.