The summit of the Pilatus, a 2132-metre-high panoramic mountain and spectacular starting point of the Obwalden high-level trail, is reached using the world's steepest cogwheel railway from Alpnachstad or the aerial cableway from Kriens. The views extends far down to Lake Lucerne and over countless alpine peaks. Alternating between fir forests and alp meadows, the path follows secluded paths right through the middle of the wonderful Langis-Glaubenberg moorland landscape. The Berghotel Langis or Schwendi-Kaltbad mountain restaurant are ideally placed for refreshments and overnight stays.
The tasty hearty fare from the alp fortifies you in readiness for traversing the Glaubenbielen Pass to the Lungern-Schönbüel with its panoramic views. More phenomenal views can be expected over Chringen to the Dundelegg. The last part of the two-day hike is then tackled with the descent to Turren. The Turren aerial cableway is a handy way of going back down to Lungern in the valley.
Tips and hintsZentralbahn railway connections in Lungern.
Lungern - Lucerne in 50 min.
Lungern - Interlaken in 60 min.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.