Stage 6, Biel-Chinzig–Muotathal
Distance 14.3 km
Coming from Italy, the Russians crossed the Ticino border at Ponte Tresa, over Monte Ceneri, through the Leventina and over the Gotthard Pass, then on to Ursern and through the Reuss valley to Altdorf. The French resistance on the Lake of Uri and in the Glarus lowlands forced Suworow to make bypass marches over the Chinzig Chulm and Pragel passes and finally to retreat through the Sernftal and over the Panixer Pass into the Surselva. Suvorov memorial sites on the Gotthard and in the Schöllenen recall these dramatic events, as do the general's quarters in listed buildings such as the Muotathal Monastery or the Suvorov House in Elm. In addition to the historic sites along the route, the unique natural setting is also impressive. Wild mountain valleys, pass landscapes, mountain lakes and rivers can be enjoyed without worries - especially at the thought of Suworow's troops who had to make their way under time pressure, enemy attacks and the onset of winter.
AuthorStoos-Muotatal Tourismus / Schwyzer Wanderwege
Update: January 25, 2020
Getting thereMit den öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln Zug und Schiff erreichen Sie die Bahn- oder Schiffstation Flüelen. Das Postauto oder der Linienbus der Auto AG bringt Sie direkt zur Haltestelle bei der Talstation der Luftseilbahn Biel-Kinzig.
32T 482660 5202137
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentHiking boots with good profile or trekking boots, rain jacket, drink, food, possibly sticks.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view