From Altdorf station, follow Rynächtstrasse to the bridge over the Reuss in Attinghausen. You then swap to the Reuss relief river path and make for the Reuss bridge in Erstfeld. After crossing the river, you follow the side road past pretty farms and tranquil spots on the banks of the Reuss and traverse Wiler and Butzen to arrive in Amsteg. Note the imposing railway bridge spanning the Chärstelenbach stream.
The return leg of the tour finds you heading north via Silenen and Ellbogen on the path on the eastern side of the Reuss. Erstfeld is where the north ramp of the Gotthard section of the summit railway line begins. You can admire various train compositions on display here – the panoramic tower is not far, nor is the “Crocodile” locomotive! Returning to the Reuss path, you arrive at the picturesquely located Jagdmatt Chapel with the Bristen in the background – a popular spot for photographs. From the Reuss bridge in Erstfeld you take the same way back to Altdorf station as before.
The tour is waymarked no. 402 throughout.
Tips and hintsTatort Tell
Getting thereVon der Autobahn A2 und von der Axenstrasse her kommend in Richtung Altdorf fahren, anschliessend Abzweiger zum Bahnhof nehmen.
ParkingKostenpflichtiger Parkplatz am Bahnhof Altdorf.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.