A leisurely and short winter hike from the village centre to the beautiful waterfall and then to the valley station of the Fürenalp mountain railway station.
Distance 4.8 km
The start of this winter hike is at the railway station. Past the Kurpark you go straight through the dorfstrasse to the monastery. At the monastery church you walk up to the cemetery and over the monastery mat to St. Anna. Cross the bridge and walk along Schweizerhausstrasse over a wide mat to the waterfall and on to the valley station of the Fürenalp railway station. From there you have two options for the way back. You can either take the free sports bus back to the village (see timetable) or hike along the professors' path, all along the Engelberger Aa back to the starting point of the tour.
Along the route lies the beautiful Restaurant Schweizerhaus with seasonal and market-fresh cuisine. Almost at the end of the route, there is a refreshment point in the Restaurant Wasserfall.
AuthorEngelberg - Titlis Tourismus
Update: February 18, 2020
Take the Motorway A2 (Basel-Luzern-Gotthard) to Stans-south. From there follow the main road for 20 km to Engelberg. Engelberg is about 30 minutes from Lucerne. From Zurich you need about 1 h 15 min, and from Bern or Basel approximatly 1 h 45 min.
ParkingParking spaces are available in Engelberg for a fee.
32T 454450 5185287
EquipmentHigh and firm hiking boots or winter boots, warm clothes, sun protection, hiking socks are advantageous.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view