Insights into the history of Muotathal
On this little round trip you will get to know the oldest part of Muotathal: Wil, first mentioned in 1275. The path follows the streets and is not signposted. It lies on the sunny side of the valley.
- Monastery St. Josef
- Old village Wil with church and parsonage
Rest StopRestaurant Schützenhaus
Gasthaus zum Hirschen
Safety informationThe walking and winter hiking trails are not specially signposted. After heavy snowfall, the paths may not always be cleared.
Tips and hints
Getting thereFrom the motorway A4 exit direction Schwyz - Muotathal - Muotathal Post Office
ParkingPublic parking near Muota school building
EquipmentSolid, winter shoes with good sole, warm clothing adapted to the weather (if necessary hat, gloves and trekking poles); possibly warm drinks.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.