From Engelberg railway station, follow the Dorfstrasse past the Tourist Information in the direction of the monastery. Turn left before the monastery church and go up the stairs. Now the path leads across the snow-covered Klostermatte, where the little guests make their first attempts on the skis. At the other end, the path leads left into the valley. Through the Grotzenwäldli, past the Robinson playground to the very back. At Horbis, the restaurant Ende der Welt invites you to have a hot drink and a break.
Getting thereTake the Motorway A2 (Basel-Luzern-Gotthard) to Stans-south. From there follow the main road for 20 km to Engelberg. Engelberg is about 30 minutes from Lucerne. From Zurich you need about 1 h 15 min, and from Bern or Basel approximatly 1 h 45 min.
ParkingParking spaces are available in Engelberg for a fee.
EquipmentHigh and firm hiking boots or winter boots, warm clothes, sun protection, hiking poles are advantageous.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.